I Got a Ticket For a Vehicle I No Longer Own

In 1997, Oregon passed a law which requires the registered owner of a vehicle to notify the Oregon Driver and Motor Vehicle Services (DMV) of the sale or transfer within 10 days. If you have not notified the DMV of the sale of your vehicle, you need to contact the DMV ASAP at NOTIFY DMV and select the option "Report Your Vehicle Sold."

If you received notice of a citation for a vehicle that was sold, repossessed, or transferred to another person before the citation issue date and you would like the matter reviewed, you MUST submit copy of the notice you received from Municipal Court and the following:

  • A copy of the Bill of Sale which MUST contain:
    • References the vehicle by license plate or Vehicle Identification Number (VIN),
    • Includes the date of sale,
    • Has both the buyer's and seller's signatures;
  • Official Notice of Sale or Transfer of a Vehicle from DMV (link to the form can be found here)

If you had not submitted a valid ‘Notice of Sale or Transfer’ to DMV before your ticket was issued, you will be charged a $25 administration fee.

Show All Answers

1. Court Arraignments
2. I Got a Ticket For a Vehicle I No Longer Own
3. Handling Citations Prior to Court
4. Missed Court Date(s)
5. Trials
6. Payment Options
7. Court Room Rules and Dress Code
8. Other Contact Information
9. Hardship License Application
10. Where can I do Traffic School?